Thursday, April 27, 2017

Old Photos Never Die

I had every intention of posting more genealogy related things on this blog, but somehow it got away from me.  After an absence of four years I'm back!

Recently I've been going through old family photos again.  When my Dad was still alive I went through some of them with him and he identified a few of the people.  These people aren't related to me and yet I hated the thought of throwing them away.  Perhaps their relatives would be interested in seeing them?  Then I had a "light bulb moment" and decided to put them up here.  Perhaps if their family members are doing a google search they will pull this page up and be thrilled to have a photo.  So here it goes...

This photo was taken in front of my Dad's childhood home at 44 7th Avenue in Westwood, NJ.  It is his friend Clarence Arthur Bate Heuer and his girlfriend (later his wife) Kathryn Lockerby.  There's a street in Westwood called Lockerby Lane and I believe it's named after her brothers who were killed in WWII.  At least I think that's what I remember my Dad telling me.  If I had to guess I think this picture was probably taken in the late 1930's or early 1940's.

This is Jane Kennedy.  My father said she graduated from Westwood High School in 1937.  She is standing in front of her house on Fairview Avenue in Westwood, NJ.  He told me the house was torn down sometime in the 1930's.

This is Ellis Ponton.  According to Dad he graduated from Westwood High School in 1938 and was an athlete who participated in football and track.

This is Walter Stiles.  Dad said he was a couple of years older than him.  Since Dad was born in 1918 that would mean Walter was born around 1916.  He lived on 7th Avenue in Westwood, NJ.   On the back of the photo it says:  Pvt. Walter Stiles, 1910 QM. Truck. (AVN), Army Air Base. Key Field, Meridian, Mississippi.  The photo has a stamp that dates it November 20, 1942.

These were friends of my parents who moved away from New Jersey.  I'm thinking they moved out to Washington state or somewhere out west, but I could be wrong.  This is Mel Hopper and his wife Janet Hickey Hopper and their two sons.  In the back of my mind I'm thinking they had a daughter too, but again I could be wrong.  My parents talked about them from time to time and I seem to recall them coming to Westwood at least once during my childhood in the 1950's.  This picture is dated June 5, 1954.

And this is Janet Hickey Hopper again with her two sons.  I think this photo was probably taken around the same time as the previous one.

This is my Dad William J. Durgin, an unidentified female, and Thorwald Siebert.  Dad said Thorwald lived on Kingsbury Avenue in Westwood, NJ.  I actually found him in the census and he lived at 57 Kingsbury Avenue with his parents.  Dad said he graduated from Westwood High School in 1935 and was president of The Young Democratic Club.
 This is Thorwald Siebert again with two unidentified females.  It was obviously taken at the same time as the previous photo.

This is Thorwald Siebert, another unidentified female, and my Dad William J. Durgin.  If I had to guess I would think these three photos were taken on a class trip in the early 1930's?

This is a photo of the two unidentified females.  My Dad just couldn't remember who they were.  My hope is that someone might stumble upon this page someday and recognize them.  I'm assuming they were from Westwood too.

If I find more pictures I'll share them on this blog.












No comments:

Post a Comment